The use of geranium oil for skin is an age old remedy. It is used to cure skin ailments such as acne, eczema and dermatitis. Use geranium oil to heal injuries, wounds, and cuts. The oil has grown over the years into a skin remedy product as health experts recommend it for removing wrinkles, anti-aging spots.
What is Geranium Oil?
- What is Geranium Oil?
- Properties of Geranium Oil
- Benefits of Using Geranium Oil for Skin
- Geranium oil acts as an agent to reduce wrinkles
- Geranium oil for fighting acne
- Geranium oil moisturizes the skin
- Treatment for Eczema
- Geranium oil for wound healing
- Geranium oil for reducing skin scars and black spots
- Geranium oil for skin whitening
- Geranium oil for regenerating skin cells
- Side Effects of Using Geranium Oil
- Health Precautions When Using Geranium Oil
Also referred to as pelargonium graveolens, geranium oil originates from the geranium flower. It is an essential oil extracted through steam distilling the plant’s green parts, especially the leaves and steam. The essential oil has a sweet and floral scent with a somewhat earthy smell.
Geranium oil is not by any means related to rose geranium oil, even though both the oils have related properties and health benefits. Both geranium oil and rose geranium oil are extracted from the same flower. Geranium oil is a native from African. Traditionally geranium oil was used by ancient Egyptians to uphold the skin beautifulness and health.
The oil has widely grown to become an aroma therapeutic application as it contains powerful properties. The oil is produced and integrated to make cosmetic products such as lotions, shampoos, hair conditioners and body oils.
The many essential elements of the skin properties have allowed the geranium oil to grow as it nowadays used as a treatment to relieve anxiety, provide hormonal balance and reducing inflammation
Properties of Geranium Oil
- Anti- inflammatory.
- Anti- septic
Benefits of Using Geranium Oil for Skin
Geranium oil acts as an agent to reduce wrinkles
As one gets older, the skin starts losing its natural elasticity and with time wrinkles slowly start to develop. The geranium oil contains high astringent and antioxidant properties that allow the tissues of the skin to contract and tighten. The contraction and tightening effect on the tissue cells happens in a significant manner enabling the skin to remove the presence of wrinkles to give a well-toned skin look.
The antioxidant properties are vital in protecting the skin against free radical that attack the healthy skin cells. This enables proper blood flow and skin cell renewal.
How to use Geranium Oil to Remove Wrinkles
- Add 5 drops of geranium oil to an empty bowl.
- Pour 2 drops of a base oil.
- Stir well.
- Wash the face with water.
- Gently apply the mixture and let it dry for 15 minutes.
- Wash off the face.
Geranium oil for fighting acne
One of the most effective uses of geranium oil for skin is treating acne. Acne is usually caused by some bacteria that causes black spots and pimples. The oil contains strong antimicrobial, anti-fungal, antiseptic and antibacterial property which help fight bacteria causing acne. The oil opens the skin pores and regulates the production of excess sebum which causes acne spread. The essential properties maintain a balanced oil production.
How to Use Geranium Oil to remove acne
- On an empty container add 5 drops of geranium oil.
- Add 2-3 drops of base oil.
- Pour one cup of distilled water and stir.
- Wash the face to remove sweat and bacteria.
- Using a cotton ball gently apply it on the face.
- Let it dry and rinse with water.
Geranium oil moisturizes the skin
The oil aids in moisturizing and lubricating dry and fractured skin. The antioxidants and astringent properties enhance water retention and water pumping onto the hydrated dry skin cells. As a result, the skin looks more smooth and flexible.
How to apply geranium oil to moisturize the skin
- Add 8-10 drops of geranium oil into a lotion such as cocoa butter.
- Mix and shake well.
- Apply the oil every day.
Treatment for Eczema
The oil contains strong sources of anti-inflammatory properties that aid in filing the body’s plasma lipids. Geranium oil soothes irritating, painful and itchy eczema skin spots.
How to use geranium oil for treating Eczema
- Mix 8 drops of geranium oil with 2 drops of a carrier oil.
- Wash the face and pat dry.
- Apply the oil gently on the affected skin with a cotton bag.
- Wash the face ones the oil has dried.
Geranium oil for wound healing
Bacteria can infect wounds especially open cuts and pores on the skin. Geranium oil has a rich and powerful anti-bacterial and antimicrobial property that aids the body to fasten the healing process bruises, wounds, and burns on the skin.
How to use geranium oil to heal wounds
- Pour 2 drops on geranium oil on distilled water.
- Apply it on the wounds
Geranium oil for reducing skin scars and black spots
The skin scars occur due to many factors such as surgery, sunburns, acne, boils or bacteria; this usually leaves a scar and black spots. The use of geranium oil for skin treatment allows the Cicatrisant property to work in fading and vanishing skin spots and scars.
The oil penetrates the skin to accelerate the flow of blood in the body, especially below the affected surface so as to stimulate the healing process and revitalize the skin tone.
- How to use geranium oil to treat scars.
- Mix geranium oil with a base oil.
- Apply it on the affected areas with a cotton or dry towel.
Geranium oil for skin whitening
The properties contained in the oil is a strong remedy for skin bleaching. Naturally, geranium oil has a strong anti-inflammatory and astringent properties that aid in balancing the distribution of collagen. As a result, geranium oil properties penetrate the skin and removes dark spots and enhance the skin pigmentation.
How to use geranium oil for skin whitening
- Place 2 drops of geranium oil to an empty container.
- Add 2 drops of carrier oil such almond oil or coconut oil.
- Then add 2 teaspoon of baking soda on the solution.
- Add water and mix.
- Using cotton apply the mixture on the skin.
- Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Wash off the face.
Geranium oil for regenerating skin cells
Skin cells are exposed to many factors such as sun rays that damage skin cells. The skin needs to effectively dispose of the damaged and dead cells and regenerate new cells faster to maintain an even and smooth skin tone.
The oil is a rich source of prophylactic property that helps in removing dead cells and fastening the formation of new skin cells.
Side Effects of Using Geranium Oil
Geranium oil is considered safe.
Geranium oil is naturally used as it is associated with the non-irritating side effects. However, research done by experts on naturalhealinguide.com tend to have a different view. The study indicates that individuals with sensitive skin have reported cases of skin irritation while using pure geranium oil. Thus it is vital to conduct as patch test on the skin to determine the effects. If it causes irritation stop the use and seek medical attention.
Geranium contains high diuretic properties. It is used to help the body to get rid of excess water and toxins. If using the oil internally make sure you do not mix it with different natural diuretic substance.
Health Precautions When Using Geranium Oil
- DO NOT consume the oil internally with diluting it. And if used internally consume lots of water.
- You SHOULD NOT use geranium oil if pregnant or nursing as it contains emmenogogue properties.
- Do not apply the oil directly on the skin ensure that you dilute it with a different type of oil such as coconut, jojoba or castor oil. Patch test to confirm if the oil is sensitive.
- When applying, avoid getting the oil on nose, eyes, and ears.
- You should not apply geranium oil on babies and young children as they have sensitive skin.
- Keep the oil way from children as the scent may cause children to sneeze.