Looking for how to reduce pores on face? Here is a breakdown on some of the best remedies for large pores on face naturally and permanently. Also, find out how to minimize pimple holes with effective pore products.
How to Reduce Pores on Face
- How to Reduce Pores on Face
- How to Reduce Pores on Face by Home Remedy
- Minimize Pores with Baking Soda
- Egg Whites to Reduce Enlarged Pores
- Use Honey to Shrink Large Pores
- How to Minimize Large Pores with Apple Cider Vinegar
- Milk of Magnesia to Make Pores Less Visible
- Sandalwood Powder to make pores Less Visible
- Cucumber Lemon Face Pack to Reduce Large Pores
- Use Sugar Scrub to Reduce Pores on Face Naturally
- Reduce Pimple Holes with Tomato Juice Toner
- Masks for Large Pores
- How to Reduce Pores on Face Permanently
- How to Reduce Pores on Face Caused by Pimples
- Minimize Pores Products
- Common Misconceptions about pores on Face
- How to Prevent Large Pores on Face
Pores are many tiny holes on the face which help the skin to breathe. When they are enlarged, they become visible to the naked eye. Large pores are common in people with oily or combination skin types due to excess production of sebum.
Their pores create a friendly environment which allows bacteria to thrive. They are more prone to blockage. Clogged pores often lead to whiteheads or blackheads. When trying to reduce large pores on face, the goal is to clear and clean pores. This discourages the growth of bacteria.
Large pores give the face an orange peel appearance making it look dull and aged. With age, the skin loses its elasticity which makes face pores worse. Large pores are common on the T-zone: the forehead, nose, and cheeks. Here are quick fixes to reduce those large pores on face;
Should I use a Cleanser or Face Wash to Reduce Pores?
The basic ways to get your face cleaned out is using a cleanser or a face wash. They help to remove dirt and excess oil leaving your pores clearer.
A face wash is simply a cleanser that foams like soap. It gets rid of deep seated dirt and grime. A cleanser can be used every day in place of soap. It cleans and removes excess oil; perfect for oily skin types as it gives a matte look.
A cleanser, on the other hand, is non-foaming and does not need to be washed off. You can simply use and wipe it off before applying makeup or at night before bedtime. It is gentler and does not need to be used every day.
Depending on how often you go out of the house and if you’ve been exposed to lots of dust and pollution it might be a good idea to use a cleanser first then a face wash.
Note: If you have active pimple breakouts, avoid strong face washes as they have sodium lauryl sulfate which is a common skin irritant.
Read more on the difference between a cleanser and a face wash.
Exfoliate to Reduce Pores on Face
According to Dr. Rachel Nazarian, a dermatologist at Schweiger Dermatology, exfoliating removes dead cells from pores. Dead skin cells clog pores stretching them, making them appear larger. Exfoliating to reduce pores on the face can be done in two ways; a facial scrub, a peel, Nose strips or a mask.
In addition to revealing newer, younger skin cells, exfoliating enhances your skin’s ability to absorb things such as acne medication and anti-aging products better.
For oily acne prone skin types, stay away from rough gritty scrubs as they can cause breakouts. Peels with hydroxy acids such as salicylic acid are recommended in this case. They remove grime by penetrating oil to break down dead cells that clog pores.
Dead skin cells build up in several weeks so it is important to do exfoliate on a regular basis.
Steaming to Soften Clogged Pores
The heat from steam raises skin temperature thus softening hardened oil that clogs pores. This deep cleanses and makes it easier for pore extraction.
- Dip a wash cloth in hot water or place it in the microwave for up to 30 seconds
- Place the damp wash cloth on your face for up to 3 minutes or when it becomes cool
- Alternatively, you can place your face over a bowl of hot steaming water and cover your head with a towel for 5-10 minutes
Extraction to Unclog Pores on Face
This is not meant to encourage you to pick on your blackheads or whiteheads. Extraction helps the most with large singly occurring pimples. While you can do this at home, it is best recommended to have whiteheads/blackheads extracted manually by your dermatologist.
You can buy a pore extractor for a little over $10. It works by dragging it across the skin while applying a little pressure. This helps to expunge gunk trapped in your skin. Be careful not to apply too much pressure as it would break your skin and cause bruising.
Remember to splash some cool water onto your face to shrink pores to prevent losing more moisture.
How to Reduce Pores on Face by Home Remedy
Large pores on the face is a common skin problem that can be easily taken care of in the comfort of your home. Enlarged pores are usually due to stress, poor skin care routine, and genetic makeup. There are several products in the market to help reduce large pores on face. However, natural skin care is an easy, inexpensive and effective way to reduce the visibility of pores on face.
Here are top remedies to reduce pores on face naturally
Minimize Pores with Baking Soda
A natural exfoliating agent, baking soda gently removes dirt and debris from your skin. It gets rid of excess oil on the surface of the skin and regulates PH. Baking soda also acts as an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory that helps to reduce complications from large pores such as pimples and acne.
- Add 2 tablespoons of lukewarm water to 2 tablespoons of baking soda and mix
- Apply the paste on your face and massage in circular upward motions for 30 seconds
- Rinse off with cool water
- Use this remedy 3-4 days a week
Egg Whites to Reduce Enlarged Pores
Skin sagging is a common sign of aging. It makes the appearance of large pores more visible. One of the most common ingredients for natural face masks, egg whites have properties to fight off acne. They also tighten skin which helps to reduce the appearance of pores.
- Apply egg whites over your face
- Allow it to dry off completely
- Rinse off with warm water to reveal tighter and firmer skin
- Use this remedy once a week
Use Honey to Shrink Large Pores
Honey is a natural tone- it tightens the skin thus reducing the appearance of large pores. It also moisturizes the skin leaving it wonderfully, moisturized, toned and supple.
Apply raw honey to your face and leave for about 20 minutes. Rinse off with cool water. For best results, you can add a few drops of lemon juice.
How to Minimize Large Pores with Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is a natural astringent. It also tones the skin thus tightens to reduce large pores.
- Mix organic ACV with water in equal parts
- Soak a cotton ball in the solution and use it to apply it onto your face
- Leave it on for a few minutes then rinse off
You can ACV as a natural cleanser every other night. Apply it to remove makeup before bedtime. DO NOT forget to moisturize.
Milk of Magnesia to Make Pores Less Visible
Works best as a cleanser and a toner to help minimize pore size.
- Use a cotton ball to apply milk of magnesia to your face
- Leave it on your face for 10 minutes
- Rinse off with warm water
- If you have pores appearing singly, you can simply dab it on the pore, let it dry then apply your makeup
Sandalwood Powder to make pores Less Visible
A mild and natural treatment for large open pores.
- Simply make a paste using red sandalwood powder and rose water.
- Apply it evenly on your face and leave it for about 20 minutes to help reduce large open pores.
- You can add in black chickpea powder to make sandalwood scrub.
- Use it to massage your face in circular motions for about 5 minutes
- It will help to exfoliate the skin and remove dead cells clogged in pores
Cucumber Lemon Face Pack to Reduce Large Pores
Other than add a fresh glow to your face, cucumber is a natural astringent that helps to clean and shrink pores.
- Blend a few cold slices of cucumber with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to a fine paste
- Apply it on your face and leave for about 15 minutes
- Rinse off with cool water
This face pack will also help to lighten acne scars and improve complexion.
Use Sugar Scrub to Reduce Pores on Face Naturally
A sugar scrub is another natural way to exfoliate skin to remove impurities lodged into pores.
- Mix a tablespoon each of brown sugar, honey and olive oil
- Add in a few drops of lemon juice and mix well
- Use this scrub to gently massage your face in circular motions for 5-10 minutes
- Wash off with cool water
- For best results, do this once or twice a week
Reduce Pimple Holes with Tomato Juice Toner
Tomatoes have astringent properties that help balance sebum production. They also tighten the skin to reduce large pores. Apply tomato juice on your face to shrink enlarged pores. Combine a tablespoon of tomato juice and a few drops of lemon juice. Apply it on your face to tighten pores and get rid of blemishes.
Masks for Large Pores
Masks help to deep cleanse by opening up pores and removing deep set impurities. They draw out excess oil. This tightens skin which makes pores appear smaller. Here are favorite masks to reduce large pores on face
An amazing cleanser, yogurt dissolves impurities in pores and also tightens them. Simply apply a tablespoon of plain yogurt on your face. Leave it on for about 10 minutes then rinse or wipe off with a wet cloth.
The most common types of clay in masks are kaolin and bentonite. Both absorb excess oils and draw impurities out of clogged pores. Some include mild exfoliating acids and vitamins to rejuvenate skin.
Note that over use of clay masks can dry out your skin and cause irritation.
These masks are just about the most effective treatment for getting rid of grime from clogged pores. This is a trend that saw many beauty products companies to manufacture their brands of charcoal masks.
Unlike other masks which are laden with chemicals, charcoal masks are natural making them effective pore treatment; suitable for all skin types.
How to Reduce Pores on Face Permanently
It must be exhausting wearing make up every single day to hide open pores on face. Rather than use makeup to temporarily cover face pores, use these measures to reduce pores permanently.
Laser Treatment for Pores
Laser therapy promotes rapid skin renewal. It works by emitting gentle beams to affected areas. It stimulates healing responses which promote cellular renewal and collagen synthesis. This helps to remodel and repair uneven texture and provide a suitable option to treat old and much enlarged pores on face.
Laser Treatment for Pores on Face Cost
Depending on the size of your pores and the kind of results you desire, laser treatment may vary in cost. It also depends on whose services you seek. Well established dermatologists or plastic surgeons charge higher prices. For a normal laser treatment, the price ranges from $50-$950 averaging at $375. Laser resurfacing, on the other hand, cost a little bit higher ranging from $450-$1500, averaging at $950.
These are chemical solutions that are applied on the skin that cause it to exfoliate and peel off to reveal newer smoother skin. Solutions used include trichloracetic acid and alpha hydroxyl acid (AHA). Chemical peels for large pores can be mild, medium or deep peels. Concentrations can be adjusted to meet the needs of the patient. Milder peels like AHA or BHA require a series of treatments to work. A phenol peel is stronger and works by removing deeper layers of the epidermis.
Other ways to reduce pores size permanently
- IPL Photofacial
- Salicylic Acid/ Aspirin
How to Reduce Pores on Face Caused by Pimples
If you have acne, you may also have enlarged pores. Large pores are a common indication of increased size of oil glands and oil production. People with oily skin tend to have acne and large pores. While they don’t entirely depend on each other, controlling one may be a solution for the other. Here is how to reduce pores on face caused by pimples;
They not only offer a refreshing feel to your face skin, ice cubes are a great at home remedy for enlarged pores. They prevent production of excess oil and reduce pores.
How to use Ice to Tighten Pores on Face
- Wash your face regularly but not too often- to get rid of clogged dirt, oil and bacteria
- Place two ice cubes on a clean washcloth
- Use the tied up ice cubes to gently massage your face for about 30 seconds
Alternatively, you can use a single ice cube to gently massage problematic areas of your face. Continue rubbing giving it a break every five seconds until the ice melts. DO NOT rub your face for more than 5 seconds at a time. Using ice directly on your skin and for longer may cause more harm to your skin.
Apply Lemon to Reduce Pores on Face and Nose from Pimples
Lemon is a potent astringent. It tones the skin and reduces the appearance of large pores.
- Soak a clean cotton swab in fresh lemon juice
- Dab it on your face to shrink pores from pimples
- Leave the juice on for 5 minutes then rinse off with cool water
- DO NOT forget to moisturize
Individuals with dry and sensitive skin types should avoid using concentrated lemon juice. Dilute it with equal parts of rosewater before using it.
DO NOT walk out in the sun with lemon applied onto the skin.
Minimize Pores Products
Most people would opt for commercial products to prevent and reduce the appearance of pores on face. When purchasing your skin care products, ensure that they are labelled non-comedogenic as they do not clog pores.
Products such as cleansers and pore minimizing creams are a great place to start. Here are some open pores treatment products listed on teenVOGUE to make your pores less visible;
- Origins Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask to Clear Pores
- Tarte Clean Slate Poreless 12-HR Perfecting Primer
- Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- Glamglow Supermud Clearing Treatment
- The Porefessional Face Primer
- Skinmedia Retinol Complex
- Philosophy Clear Days Ahead Overnight Repair Salicylic Acid Acne Repair Treatment
Be careful not to use products without a proper review. Products such as masks should be used with utmost care as they can cause more damage to the skin.
Common Misconceptions about pores on Face
You can close pores
Most people fall for this. Pores do not open or close. While you can reduce pores on face, you cannot close them. Pores help the face to breathe, hydrate and get rid of toxins. They need to remain open to allow the skin to breathe freely and also to let sebum and other materials out of your skin. Trapped sebum, debris and bacteria stretch out pores so that they appear large. Cleaning to remove these reduces pore size making them less visible.
Steaming Reduce Pores
It unclogs pores not reduce their size. It helps clean out debris and sebum which clog pores. Clean your face using a mild cleanser before steaming. Remember to splash cold water to close up the pores.
Misconception about blackheads
The black in your pores is definitely not dirt. When sebum is exposed to oxygen, it is oxidized in a chemical reaction which turns it from a white gunk to a black one that appear as whiteheads.
You can get rid of Pores on Face
According to the besthealthmag.ca, you cannot get rid of pores completely. However, with the right skin care, you can make pores appear smaller or less noticeable by removing sebum and other things that are trapped in them.
Cleanse and exfoliate to clear out your pores to allow them to breathe freely. DO NOT be tempted to over cleanse your face as frequent washing can dry your skin and cause inflammation.
How to Prevent Large Pores on Face
- Eat Healthy and hydrate adequately
- Remove Makeup before sleeping
- Use products meant for your skin type