Acne scars is an unfair outcome after a long struggle with pimples and zits. While on the lookout for effective means to fade acne scars, choose those that have less or no side effects at all. Before you consider seeing a dermatologist, home remedies are worth a try. They are effective, easy to use and you do not have to worry about unwanted effects. Also, find out the various methods available to fade acne scars fast and permanently.
How to Fade Acne Scars Naturally with Home Remedies
Methods used to fade acne scars such as surgery and use of laser treatment come with a promise of better results. But just as fade creams and tissue treatments, effects such as skin irritation and permanent scarring are a big concern.
Using home remedies reduces the risk of side effects. You do not have to worry about skin damaging treatments and procedures that may be done unprofessionally. Here, learn how to use cheap, safe and easily available ingredients to diminish acne scars naturally.
1. How to use lemon juice to fade old acne scars
Lemon juice is one of the most common home remedies for acne scars. Lemons have vitamin C that effectively lightens old pimple marks on your face and makes the skin smoother and firmer. Here is how to use lemon juice to fade acne scars:
- Use a clean cotton ball to dab on some freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Rub it directly on the affected area of skin
- Leave it on for 5 minutes
- Rinse off with plain lukewarm water
- Do this daily or on alternate days if you have sensitive skin
- Dilute lemon juice with equal parts of water for sensitive skin
- Use regularly for at least 6 weeks to yield noticeable results
Alternatively, you can use lime juice to get rid of pimple scars fast. For sensitive skin, dilute the lemon juice with plain water or honey. The period it takes for the lemon juice to fade acne scars depends on how severe your pimples marks, scars or spots are and may take from 1 week to 3 months.
If you experience redness and itching, wash off and stop the treatment immediately. Other lemon juice for acne scars recipes include:
- Lemon juice and honey
- Lemon juice and almond oil/ olive oil
- Lemon juice with baking powder/ sandalwood powder
- Lemon juice and cucumber juice
- Lemon juice and aloe Vera
- Lemon essential oil (must be diluted with water or carrier oils)
Apply moisturizer after each lemon for acne scars treatment to prevent itching, dryness and redness. DO NOT go out in the sun for 30 minutes after use. Lemon causes photosensitivity. Lemon disrupts the skin’s PH balance- DO NOT USE IT OVERNIGHT.
2. Use honey to lighten pimple scars in a week
Honey is a natural antibiotic and anti-inflammatory. Using raw honey reduces inflammation, making the skin tougher and smoother. It is considered as one of the best natural solutions for sensitive skin because it does not irritate the skin.
Raw Honey to Fade Pimple Marks and Brighten Skin
- On a clean face, apply a thin layer of raw organic honey
- Leave it on for 10 minutes
- Massage in circular motions using wet fingers
- Rinse off with cool water
- Use this recipe overnight for best results
Honey and Aspirin to Heal and Fade Acne Scars
- Grind 3 tablets of aspirin into powder
- Add in 2 tablespoons of honey to make a paste
- Apply on the affected areas of skin and leave it on for 30 minutes
- Rinse off with cool water, pat dry and moisturize
- Repeat daily for best results
Other Recipes to lighten acne scars using honey
- Honey and lemon mask
- Honey and olive oil
- Honey and turmeric/cinnamon
- Honey and Apple Cider Vinegar
Did you know you can use honey to change the color of your eyes?
I highly recommend Manuka honey for clear, blemish free skin. According to bona-fide-skincare.com, manuka honey has a skin brightening effects. This works well to reduce and prevent scarring.
Use Manuka honey to prevent future skin breakouts? Here is how
3. Coconut oil to treat acne scars and sun spots
Coconut oil has been known as one of the natural products to have many benefits on the human skin. It can be used on its own or in combination with other ingredients to reduce acne scars. Coconut oil prevents bacterial infection, cools down the skin and filters out toxins. This makes the skin less prone to acne scars and also gets rid of scars, pimples marks, and dark spots.
For best results, use Virgin or Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.
- Clean your face with water.
- Apply the coconut oil to the scarred area.
- Wait for 10 to 15 minutes then wipe the coconut oil off with a clean cloth.
- You can leave the coconut oil on overnight
- Then rinse with warm water.
4. Aloe vera for acne scars on face
Aloe Vera is the most popular natural substance used to diminish acne scars. It is used in many skincare products. However, fresh aloe Vera still remains the best in acne scar treatment. It smoothens out scars and helps to diminish pimple marks.
- Cleanse your face with water and dries with a towel.
- Break or cut the aloe Vera leaf.
- Apply the aloe Vera gel on your skin.
- Wait for 30-40 minutes.
- Then rinse with a cloth dipped in warm water because it is usually sticky.
This remedy is best used for removal of old acne scars. For best results, do this daily for not less than a week.
5. Aspirin mask to fade red acne scars
Crushed Aspirin is a cheap anti-inflammatory that is readily available in many homes. Aspirin, contains salicylic acid, a major component in acne treatment products. It effectively clears red acne scars and large pores.
While aspirin is an effective anti-inflammatory, I wouldn’t recommend taking orally to fade acne scars.
- Crush 4-7 aspirins
- Mix 3 parts of water with 1 part of aspirin to make a paste
- Using a Q tip apply gently to affected skin and allow to dry
- Once it starts to flake, wash off with warm water
You can use more quantities of aspirin and water to make an aspirin mask for larger areas of affected skin. DO NOT attempt this remedy if you have an allergy to aspirin. Use this remedy to treat cystic acne and get rid of wrinkles and fine lines.
6. Use ice cubes to reduce acne and pimple spots
Ice cubes reduce swelling and redness due to pimples. Ice effectively reduces the size of pimples by shrinking the pores. This is due to the constriction of blood vessels under the skin. Smaller pores restrict bacteria hence less acne.
It is a simple home remedy, helps to lighten the scar area on the skin; it reduces pimple redness, reduces puffiness around the eyes and also reduces pimple size.
- Wash your face clean and pat dry
- Rub an ice cube on face massaging in circular motions
- Do this until the ice is melted
- Pat your skin dry
- Do this up to 3 times daily for best results
This remedy is effective for single or small acne scars. Use ice on new pimple and pimple marks to reduce and fade them easily.
Make and use lemon ice cubes and green tea popsicles for added benefits. Use Ice cubes to get rid of puffy eyes and red under eye circles.
7. Potato juice
Potato juice has bleaching properties. It is used to lighten the skin, heal skin acne and fade scars from pimples.
- Clean and dry face.
- Cut raw potato into pieces and grate it to get its juice
- Apply it on the acne scars
- Wait for 20-25 minutes
- Then wipe it off
Use this remedy for 4-6 weeks to get a notable difference. This will however depend on the age and size of your acne scars.
8. Sandalwood powder treatment for acne marks and hyperpigmentation
Sandalwood powder or Chandan is commonly used for skin lightening in Hindi. It is an effective Ayurvedic treatment for pimples and other types of blemishes.
- Mix red sandalwood powder and turmeric powder in equal quantities
- Add in some milk or rosewater to make a paste
- Massage sandalwood paste to your face and leave it on overnight
It not only fades acne marks, you’ll also get to enjoy the cooling effect that is characteristic of sandalwood. You can also use this treatment to get rid of stretch marks.
9. Use turmeric to fade acne scars on face and back.
Turmeric is a favorite natural remedy for skin lightening in Hindi. It is used for the same reason to fade acne scars. The turmeric for acne scars recipe is easy to use. DIY reviews are positive
Honey and Turmeric to Fade Red Acne Scars
- Mix 4 tablespoons of honey with 1 tablespoon milk
- Add in two 4 tablespoons of turmeric powder
- Take a hot shower or wash your face with warm water to soften skin
- Pat your skin dry
- Using your fingers, apply the turmeric paste to your face
- Massage gently in circular motions for at least 10 minutes
- Wear this mask overnight (if not possible, for 2-3 hours)
- In the morning, rinse off with warm water
- Do this for a few times in a week to fade acne scars fast
Products with turmeric such as Vicco turmeric Cream can also be used to cure and fade old acne scars.
Turmeric will stain clothes yellow. Use old clothes and sheets when using this treatment to fade acne scars. To remove the yellow tinge on skin, use a cotton swab dipped in facial toner to clear your skin. Other turmeric for acne scars recipes include:
- Turmeric and yogurt
- Turmeric and oatmeal mask
Turmeric is an excellent natural teeth whitener.
10. Onion juice for dark acne spots, keloids and hypertrophic scars
Onion juice is a natural ant-inflammatory. It also stimulates collagen and rejuvenates the skin. When used it helps lightens dark scars and also red marks on the skin. Here is how to use Onion juice to get rid of scars and acne spots. I do not recommend this for sensitive skin
- Crush or grate onions
- Use a piece of cloth or filter to squeeze out the juice
- Do the same for a cucumber then mix the two juices
- Apply on your back and dark acne scars.
- Wait for 30 minutes.
- Rinse off using clean water.
It takes several weeks for it to be effective. So don’t worry when it takes 1 -2 months but ensure you repeat this procedure daily. This acne remedy is best used on other parts of the body other than the face- for obvious reasons.
Onion juice is also an excellent remedy or keloids and hypertrophic scars.
11. Vitamin e oil to lighten acne scars overnight
There are a number of studies on how to fade acne scars with vitamin e oil. However, there is little clinical evidence to support this as an effective remedy. A number of online reviews positively claim that rubbing vitamin e oil onto your acne scars could help reduce their visibility. The best way to use vitamin E oil is by popping capsules.
It is used as an ingredient in skin whitening ointments and creams. It is also good on sunburns and stretch marks.
Vitamin E oil is commonly be used as a skin toner. Here is how to use Vitamin E oil for face scars, back acne scars and stretch marks.
- Wash your face clean and pat dry
- Take a capsule filled with vitamin E oil and pierce it with a needle
- Dab the oil onto your face using fingers
- Use a cotton ball to remove excess oil from your skin
- Apply this oil daily for best results
12. Olive oil cleanse.
Olive oil contains anti-oxidants, mono-saturated fatty acids, and several vitamins, e.g., A, C, D, E, etc. These vitamins help speed up fading of acne scars and lighten the skin scars. Procedure;
- Wash your face
- Apply olive oil and rub gently till it’s absorbed
- Leave for 5- 10 minutes
- Use a piece of cloth to wipe it off excess oil
Use daily for best results. Olive oil can be used instead of petroleum jelly.
NB: When applying these natural home remedies it is good to remember that it takes time for them to work, considering the method you choose. Don’t rub or wash the skin aggressively when applying the substances or taking a bath because it kills and reduces skin cells which lead to more chances of getting scars or marks.
How to fade acne scars fast, permanently
DO NOT go cheap when trying to get rid of acne scars permanently. Find proven products and experienced professionals. While methods such as creams and laser treatments come with side effects, they come with a promise of permanent results.
A. Bleaching cream for acne scars on back.
Some scars may be stubborn and difficult to treat with home remedies. Bleaching creams can help get rid of dark acne scars and even out skin.
Skin lightening products and acne scar treatments are widely advertised. The best way to learn more about a product is looking at their reviews.
Fade creams and acne scars can be easily bought in drugstores.
B. See a dermatologist.
There are a number of dermatological procedures to reduce acne scars. The best one for you will be determined based on your symptoms. The dermatologist will prescribe creams or drugs you can use to fade acne scars fast.
C. Laser treatment to fade acne scars.
There are several forms of laser treatment some are used for deeper and bigger scars others for smaller and recent scars. They help diminish the redness associated with acne scars, erase the presence of stretch marks, and any other blemishes.
Erbium laser which is more aggressive compared to Fraxel laser or V-Beam. Both Fraxel and Erbium are used on older scars, while V-Beam is used for red marks, pimples, and smaller scars.
D. Chemical peels to fade acne scars permanently
Chemical peels are a popular noninvasive method use to lighten skin and get rid of acne scars. It is used on the face, neck and hands to rejuvenate the skin and improve complexion. Peels are a faster way to reduce the visibility of scars and various skin condition.
Chemical peels are used to remove the uppermost layer of damaged skin through a chemical reaction. This exposes newer healthier layer of skin. According to harlerystreeskinclinic.com, “The chemical solution applied causes trauma to the epidermis of the skin, which causes the outer layers to peel away. When the skin begins to heal, increased cell growth produces new, healthier skin layers that give the face a more youthful appearance.”
Scars close to the surface are easy to remove. Those in deeper layer take time and are done in phases for a certain period of time.
There are different types of skin peels used in acne scar treatment. The difference is the kind of chemical used
- Glycolic Peel
- Alpha hydroxyl acid
- Salicylic Peel for active acne, skin lightening and post inflammatory hyperpigmentation
- Trichloroacetic acid Peel
- Modified Jessner Peel
- Phenol acid peel
- Multi Mask Peel
This procedure is relatively safe. You may however experience redness and tightness of the skin. There may be a slight permanent or temporary change of skin tone.
Depending on the type and depth of the peel, 4-10 days of healing time is all you need to achieve smooth skin with faded scars.
E. Dermal fillers for acne scars
Some acne scars result to a depressed area on the skin, making the skin uneven. Dermal fillers are used to fill this area making the smoother by getting rid of the spots and dark marks. There are several tissue fillers available e.g. Belotero, Restylane, Bellafill. Their application depends on the facial anatomy.
Some of the fillers are said to fade over time, so it is good to discuss this with your dermatologist.
This is the use of a rotating wire brush hence removing the top layer with the scared parts; it is one of the latest skin cares and treatment technique.
It helps remove dark, uneven skin which is associated with acne scars, making the skin lighter and smoother. It helps get rid of old and new scars effectively. Although the skin takes some time to heal, the results are excellent.
G. Try surgery to get rid of acne scars fast.
Surgery is used for more stubborn, bigger and older scars. It is used as a last resort when other acne scar removal methods do not work. Surgery is very pricey and is considered to be the riskiest compared to the other treatment of acne scars.
Plastic surgery is a fast, effective and permanent method of getting rid of acne scars.
If you decide to go for surgery make sure you check if the doctors are qualified and are approved. Cases of fake or less qualified doctors have a bad outcome resulting in permanent damage even death.
Tips on how to fade acne scars
Exfoliating helps remove old layer of the skin, new ones appearing hence fading of acne scars with time. You can use warm water and rub your skin with towel; there are skin brushes you can also use. When you are rubbing make sure you do it gently to avoid tears on your skin which will form other scars.
Wear sunscreen to lighten dark pimple scars
The best advice is to stay out of the sun, but because this is hard to do, it is important you apply sunscreen when you are going for a walk on a sunny day and sometimes where a hat. If you do not avoid the sun, it darkens the scars and makes them more visible.
Avoid picking or squeezing pimples
Picking pimples damages the skin more than letting the pimple pop by its self when ready. If you squeeze pimples you make the scar bigger and also uneven because of the aggressive nature, you press your skin near a pimple.
Drink lots of water
Being hydrated has a lot of positive effects on the skin. It makes you skin moist, less wrinkled and healthier hence preventing more scars and marks hence acne scars fading with time.
Watch this Video on How to Fade Acne Scars Naturally
Sources and References
- Natural Living Ideas: 10 Most Effective Ways to Remove Acne Scars and Pimple Marks
- WebMd: Guide to Treating Acne Scars and Skin Damage
- Paula’s Choice: How to Treat Red Marks and Acne Scars
- Rapid Home Remedies: 11 Top Remedies to Remove Acne Scars
- Teen Vogue: Dark Marks and Acne Scars, Your Complete Guide
- org: Can Acne Scars Be Removed
I had two stubborn acne scars on my face that would no go away. For that reason I purchased dermalmd scar treatment serum. Within one week one of the scars is almost completely gone, and the other is slightly less visible. Hopefully Dermalmd will eliminate the other scar completely, but so far so good.
I used dermalmd scar serum to help fade acne scars and it helped a lot and I saw results in as little as a week (and that coming from someone with old and bad scarring) . I stopped using this serum because my face eventually got to used to it so it wasn’t as effective, but I’m going to start again because it helped a lot!
I tried the potato trick and it really works! thanks.
Acne scars are really an irritating one I have ever seen, I have tried mostly all the natural home remedies, but they did not provide me immediate results, after consulting with many dermatologists I tried out the microdermabrasion machines at my home itself rather than going to a salon or parlor. I was shocked to see the results. But they worked out to the core when I used to follow some of the home remedies too. So I would advise the guys who have pimples, acne, and other skin issues to try out this home remedies along with a purchase of microdermabrasion kit.
Finally I will be able to treat up my acne issue right at my home without wasting much of my money at spa and beauty parlor. Thanks guys for sharing such helpful tips.