Mouth sores also known as stomatitis or mouth ulcers appear on any of the soft tissues on the mouth that includes the tongue, lips, cheeks, the floor and roof of the mouth and the gum. This condition is common and affects both adults and children. Mouth ulcers are uncomfortable but are harmless can go away on their own without any medication in about a week but if they bother you very much you can opt to use medication or remedy that will fasten the healing process. Here are effective home remedies for mouth sores to help with ulcers, pain and inflammation.
What Causes Sores in the Mouth?
- What Causes Sores in the Mouth?
- Are Mouth Sores Contagious?
- Home Remedies for Mouth Sores and Throat
- 1. Baking Soda
- 2. Honey Home Remedy for Gum Sores
- 3. Hydrogen Peroxide Treatment for Mouth Ulcers
- 4. How to Get Rid of Mouth Sores with Milk of Magnesia
- 5. Salty Water for Mouth Sores and Thrush
- 6. Basil Leaf for Canker Sores on Tongue
- 7. Ice to Cure Sores in Mouth and Pain
- 8. Aloe Vera for Sores and Blisters in Mouth
- 9. Coconut Milk for Sores in Mouth and Blisters
- 10. Licorice
- 11. Cayenne
- 12. Alum
- 13. Use Tea Bag to Cure Lip Sores
- How to Cure Mouth Sores, after Chemo
- Treatment for Mouth Sores in Children
There are different types of mouth ulcers; canker sores also known as aphthous ulcer is usually found on the tongue, cheek or inside the lips. Cold sores also known as fever blisters are found on the gum and the roof of the mouth. We are going to see what causes the mouth sore and learn the home remedies that you can use in case you have a mouth sore.
Mouth sores can occur to adults or children and due to various reasons, they include
- Burning your mouth with hot drink or food.
- Accidentally biting your cheek, tongue or lips
- Chewing tobacco
- Poor fitting dentures
- Hard food that injures your mouth while chewing
- Food allergy
- Stress , tension or anxiety has been said to trigger canker sores in some cases
- Sudden weight loss is said to be the cause for some people
- Some drugs and radiation therapy
- Systemic disorder
- Hormonal change for some women may be the cause for them developing stomatitis
- Weakening of the immune system due to ailment for example lupus
Cancer Sores During Pregnancy
During pregnancy the body becomes vulnerable to ailment because of the weakening of the immune system plus the hormonal changes. During this time one becomes prone to having various oral ailments i.e. mouth ulcer among others.
When you are pregnant you should take good care of yourself. If the mouth ulcer doesn’t go away on its own and persists for more than 3 weeks, you are advised to seek medical attention because medication at this point may not be good for you.
Due to Heat
Heat in the body can be manifests as mouth ulcers. The internal heat of the body is created due to accumulation of phlegm and dampness. This can cause mouth sores in different sizes to occur. The good news is that the heat can, be regulated using medication or home remedies such as coconut, honey among others.
Mouth Sores or Cold Sores Due to Herpes
Cold sores are caused by herpes simplex virus which usually goes away on their own within 1-2 weeks. They often start with an itching burning sensation around your mouth. This type of sores is usually contagious and can easily infect another person through sharing eating utensils, razor or kissing an infected person
Denture Sores, Mouth Sores from Braces
Mouth sores are caused by denture. This may happen as result of new or ill-fitting dentures, they rub against you inner mouth and gum forming sores. If this happens to you due to your denture you should visit your dentist so that he or she can give you the right dentures for you and pain relive for already formed sores.
Braces can also cause mouth sores when they have been recently installed or adjusted. Your orthodontist may give you a wax that will prevent them from getting worse.
Are Mouth Sores Contagious?
You must be wondering if the mouth sores are contagious, well the good news is that mouth sores are not contagious because they are not caused by bacteria or viral agents in fact they go way on their own within one or two weeks.
Home Remedies for Mouth Sores and Throat
Mouth sores can be sometimes painful and uncomfortable; they may make eating difficult or even speaking. The best way to treat this ailment is by using home remedies as opposed to medication. Home remedies are natural solution for this condition and are free of chemicals that may possess harsh side effect after using.
Home remedies for mouth ulcers are effective, cheap and easily available. There are various remedies that work efficiently and fast on clearing up the mouth ulcers or even the sores on the back of the throat.
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda helps kill bacteria and in this process it fastens the healing process of the sore in the mouth. It neutralizes acids on the sore because of its alkaline content hence reducing the irritation. Here is how to use baking soda to cure sores inside mouth
Mix ½ cup of warm water with one teaspoon of baking soda and mix it thoroughly. Rinse your mouth with the solution. Do this every day to fasten the healing of the mouth ulcer.
2. Honey Home Remedy for Gum Sores
Honey speeds up the healing process of stomatitis due to it being anti-microbial. It also helps to prevent dehydration by retaining the moisture and fastens the process of tissue growth. All this makes it an effective home remedy to treat both mouth sores and throat. Honey can be used in various ways as a remedy
- Take pure honey orally after you have rinsed your mouth. Make sure that it comes in contact with the sore. You should do this every day until the sores heal completely.
- Alternatively, mix 1 table spoon honey with one cup of tea then you drink it. This will not only help to heal the mouth sores it will also help to clear out sore throat.
3. Hydrogen Peroxide Treatment for Mouth Ulcers
Hydrogen peroxide has antiseptic properties. This property helps to destroy bacteria so as to prevent the sore from being infected. This makes the sores to heal faster.
- Using 3 percent hydrogen peroxide, measure a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide and mix it with a glass of water
- Use the solution to thoroughly rinse your mouth making sure you don’t swallow it
- Do this 3 times a day for 3 days.
4. How to Get Rid of Mouth Sores with Milk of Magnesia
Milk of magnesia has antacid properties that help to neutralize the acids in the mouth.
- Take a cotton ball and soak it with the milk of magnesia. Apply directly on the sore and Repeat every day for 2-3 days.
- You can also sip a small amount of the milk of magnesia and use it to rinse your mouth. Make sure that it comes in contact with the sores
- Mix 1 tea spoon of the milk of magnesia with teaspoon of benedryl liquid. Use a cotton ball to apply the solution on the mouth sore after you have rinsed your mouth with warm water. This remedy is very fast and efficient. Repeat this daily and your sore will be gone in less than a week
5. Salty Water for Mouth Sores and Thrush
Have you ever thought about salt water can be a perfect remedy for some ailment? Well, salt mixed with water is a perfect remedy for mouth ulcers. It is one of the home remedies for mouth sores that can be used for mouth ulcers and as a remedy for sore throat. Salty water mouth rinse increases the PH balance, creating an alkaline environment destroying all the bacteria that exist. In this way the mouth ulcers recover much faster.
- Mix ½ cup of warm water with 1 teaspoon of salt
- Rinse your mouth with the solution and let it stay for some few seconds before spitting
- Sip another mouth full and repeat the same procedure
- Do this twice daily for 4 days the mouth ulcers will clear out fast
6. Basil Leaf for Canker Sores on Tongue
Basil has been used for a long time to cure various mouth infections. For those who have recurrent mouth sores basil is the best solution for this. Basil leaves have phyto-chemicals and anti-inflammatory properties. Apart from that it has anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties.
- Wash some few basil leaves; chew the leaves feeling the juice in your mouth. This way it will coat the ulcers making it penetrate deep in and fasten the healing process
- You can also crush some few leaves and make a paste that you will apply on the sore. Repeat this every day until the sores have cleared out.
7. Ice to Cure Sores in Mouth and Pain
Ice has been used for a long time now as an emergency measure after a minor accident. You can also use ice to numb pain and reduce the swelling due to mouth sores.
Take a small ice cube and hold it on the sore as it melts down. This is an quick and east home remedy for canker sore pain relief.
8. Aloe Vera for Sores and Blisters in Mouth
Aloe Vera has been used for a long time as a natural remedy to for various ailments. It has been proven to be a perfect remedy for mouth sores because of its antibacterial properties and inflammatory properties that help to relive the pain and fasten the healing process.
- Extract aloe Vera juice from a fresh aloe Vera leaf and apply it directly on the sore. Do this every day and less than a week the sores will be gone
- You can also rinse your mouth with aloe Vera juice every day for 3 days
9. Coconut Milk for Sores in Mouth and Blisters
Coconut milk contains anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties that fasten the healing process of the sore and also hastens the cell division process. Coconut is also a perfect remedy for blisters especially those on the lips.
- Sip a small amount of coconut milk and use it to rinse your mouth making sure that milk comes in contact with the ulcer. If you repeat this every day, your mouth sores will be gone in less than a week
- You can also wet a cotton ball using the coconut milk then apply on the sore directly and hold it there for about a minute using your hand. Repeat this for faster and better results
Licorice is perfect home remedy to treat mouth ulcers because it contains anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial property. It also protects the ulcer from irritation by forming a coat on the mucous membrane. This property makes it an effective home remedy to cure the mouth sore faster.
- Take one tea spoon of crushed licorice root in one cup of water and leave it to soak 3 hours. Use this solution as a mouth wash 2-3 time a day for 3 days. This remedy will make sure that your mouth sores a healed faster.
Cayenne contains a substance called capsaicin whish also inhibit anther substance called substance p that helps to numb the nerves hence reducing the pain
- Take a pinch of cayenne and apply it directly on the sore. Let it be absorbed into the skin. It will cause irritation for some seconds then it will subside.
Alum has anti-bacterial property which is responsible to destroy all the bacteria on the sore hence reducing the risk of infection. It also has astringent properties that enable it to stop bleeding
- Put a small amount of alum crystal in water to dissolve and use the solution to rinse your mouth.
- You can also wet a cotton ball and deep it in alum powder and hold that cotton on the sore for 30 seconds then remove it and rinse your mouth thoroughly with water
13. Use Tea Bag to Cure Lip Sores
You may not know that apart from tea being a beverage it is also a perfect home remedy for mouth sores. Tea relives pain and neutralizes the acid that is responsible for the irritation because of its alkaline nature.
- Take a tea bag and soak it with some water then apply it on the sore. This will relieve the pain temporarily. The sores will clear out gradually within 5 days.
The home remedies for mouth sores discussed above will help get rid of ulcers on the tongue lips and inside of the cheek fast.
How to Cure Mouth Sores, after Chemo
During chemotherapy a patient may be given drugs, radiation therapy or may even undergo surgery. All this may cause a reaction on your body hence forming mouth ulcers that are painful. In this condition you may not be open to many options for treating the mouth sores therefore you should be very careful on what you will use.
Antibacterial products i.e. mouth wash antiseptic will be the best option for you. You can also use topical painkiller; apply them directly on the mouth sore. Patients from chemo are not advised to take over the counter medication unless told by your doctor
Treatment for Mouth Sores in Children
Mouth sores not only affect adults but toddlers too. Due to low immunity, children can easily catch infections. Lip sores and gum sores are the most common in this age group. This may be as a result of biting on their lips or injury from cutlery. Mouth sores on babies usually go away within a week or two.
We do not recommend using home remedies for mouth sores on children. Consult your pediatrician for pain management.
Sources and References
NHS Choices: Mouth Ulcers
WebMD: Oral Care, Canker Sores
Mayo Clinic: Canker Sore