Looking for how to remove warts safely and naturally? Warts can appear almost anywhere on the skin. For most people these unsightly growth can turn out to be embarrassing and depressing. This especially because warts can be very stubborn to get rid of and most remedies do not seem to work. Most times, warts will disappear on their own. This however, may take a long time during which warts may get worse or spread to other parts of the body. Here’s is more on natural ways to remove warts on legs, hands and face. Also, find out on how to get rid of warts fast by freezing, cryotherapy, creams and wart removal surgery.
What are warts?
Warts are caused by the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV). They are benign growths that affect the top layer of the skin causing it to grow rapidly. Warts usually appear as dark brown or black patches of skin. They may be flat or raised and feel rough or smooth. Warts are usually asymptomatic except when they occur on weight bearing areas where they present with pain. Damage through cuts, shaving nicks and scratches can expose you to the HPV virus. Note that, while anyone can get warts, some people are at a higher risk most especially children and people with a weakened immune system.
Are Warts Contagious?
You can get warts directly, by touching them on someone’s body. You can also get them by coming into contact with things or surfaces that have touched someone else’s warts- such as towels, razors and bathmats.
It is also important to note that, as to other people, you can spread warts to other parts of your body. For this reason it is advisable not to pick or scratch on your warts. Wash your hands thoroughly and regularly any time you get into contact with your warts. Prudently use body items such as finger files, pumice stones and razors.
Types of Warts
There are different types of warts based on where on the body it grows and how it looks like.
Flat warts (Verruca plana), they are small, smooth (flat), flesh colored warts. They can occur in large numbers and most common on the hands, neck, wrists and knees.
Common wart (Verruca vulgaris), raised warts with a rough surface. Can occur anywhere on the body but most common on the hands. Sometimes known as palmer wart or junior wart.
Plantar wart (Verruca plantaris), are hard and rough with multiple black specks in the center. Usually occur on pressure points of the soles of feet and can be painful when walking.
Filiform warts or digitate warts are fingerlike and have thread like growths sticking out of them. They are skin colored and often grow around the eyes, mouth, nose and chin.
Genital wart (Venereal wart, Verruca acuminate), are warts that grow on the genitalia.
Periungual warts occur under and around nails. They grow in clusters forming a cauliflower like shape.
How to Remove Plantar Warts
Plantar wart also known as Verrucas grow or develop on the bottom of foot. They usually grow to the inside of the skin as opposed to other warts that grow to the inside. This usually makes walking very uncomfortable. Plantar warts usually go away on their own, but it takes a long time before they clear out. Verrucas can be treated at naturally using home remedies but some time it may take months for them to clear out because they might have grown very deep in the skin.
For the over the counter medication salicylic acid is very effective for warts on feet because it penetrates deeper in the skin and works fast to destroy the wart tissue. Duct tape is also another treatment for plantar warts but it usually takes several weeks to clear out.
Plantar warts are different from flat warts that develop on the leg or common wart that develop on the knuckles and knees. The common and flat warts can be treated easily and fast because they grow outside the skin hence you can get a cream from the chemist to get rid of them. So if you are wondering how to remove warts on the legs there are several ways both home remedies, over the counter and in the clinic
How to Get Rid of Warts on Hands
Warts are caused by a virus called HPV which can be contagious. The hand can easily contract the virus because of touching other parts of the body that has the wart or through hand shake with someone who has them on the hand, such that your hand comes to direct contact with the wart. There are different types of hand warts: finger warts for warts on the fingers, palmer warts for the warts on the palm and flat warts on the back of the hand.
For the hand wart you can easily get medication in the chemist near you or you can opt to use home remedies to get rid of them. When choosing how to remove warts with creams or other medication over the counted make sure that you ask your pharmacist for a suitable one. Some medication may interfere with the normal growth if applied near nails for the finger warts.
If the wart is still stubborn after trying out all the home remedies and over the counter medication, you can now consult your doctor further treatment.
How to Get Rid of Warts on Face
Face warts also known as flat warts are very embarrassing more so when they are on the face. They are visible to everyone and spoils your appearance hence sometimes affects one’s self esteem. You don’t have to deal with this because there are a number of treatments or remedies that you can use to get rid of the wart from your neck, face and ears.
Over the counter medications are very risky for face warts, eyelid warts and the lips warts hence it’s better to consult your doctor for proper management. Apart from medication or creams, there are various home remedies that can get rid of warts effectively for example garlic, baking powder, lemon juice, vinegar etc.
How to Remove Warts Fast, Permanently
Even though warts life threatening or terminal conditions, they are very ugly and makes one uncomfortable. There are various ways you can get rid of warts fast and permanently so that you don’t have to deal with them again. You can get rid of them naturally, over the counter medication or some procedures such as laser, cryotherapy, freezing wart removal among other methods that have been proven to be successful. Here is how to remove warts permanently and fast:
1. Wart Removal Surgery
Some time you may have tried all the remedy of wart removal but it doesn’t work for you surgery is another option which is very effective and quick. Surgery is normally done by a doctor in the clinic and involves cutting off the wart with a surgical knife. Genital warts can be removed or eliminated surgically successfully.
After the surgery, healing time depends on the number of the wart removed, the location and the size of the wart removed. Aftercare is very important so that the wound is not exposed to germs and bacteria that may cause more complications hence delaying the healing period. There are places that take some time to heal more than others so it may take you 2-3 days for you to resume your daily chores or rather activities. Full recovery may take about 3-4 weeks but the disadvantage is that scarring may occur after healing. The cost of removing the wart surgically will depend on the size ,location and the number of warts, the more the number of warts or if the wart is at delicate location the more costly it will become.
2. Cryotherapy Wart Removal
For years now cryotherapy also known as cryosurgery has been use to remove warts. In the past years liquid air and compressed carbon dioxide snow were used as cryogens but liquid nitrogen was found and proven to be more effective and is currently widely used. Cryotherapy involves freezing of the wart using liquid nitrogen by spraying it directly after removing the dead skin on your wart so that it can destroy the HPV virus.
The process is painful so the doctor may use anesthetic to reduce the pain. This procedure is usually expensive but it doesn’t leave scars behind after you have healed and for one to heal completely you need multiple treatments not just one session. Cryotherapy is recommended for the warts on the hand, facial warts, genital warts and planter warts because it doesn’t leave scars.
Cryotherapy side effects to that you should take into account first. They include
- For some one treatment may not be able to eliminate the wart from your skin, you need at least a couple of treatments to get rid of it. So your doctor or care giver will advise you on how many sessions you will need.
- Painful blisters may form after the procedure.
- Some lesions may fail to clear out completely hence recur later. If cryotherapy has been used around the nails, they may develop in an abnormal way.
- This procedure may not be suitable for small children
3. Get Rid of Warts Safely with Cream
If you have tried all home remedies but have failed to get rid of that troublesome wart, its time to pay visit over the counter solution. You should first know the type of wart that you have because some creams are for specific warts and specific areas. You can also pay you doctor a visit for him to examine you and prescribe a suitable cream for you to use on your wart. Creams can be used to get rid warts on the face, genital warts, and warts on the hand among other. For the over the counter creams make sure you buy one that is free from mercury because of the harm it can cause to your skin.
4. How to Remove Warts Quickly with Laser
Laser wart removal is an intense beam of light is used to destroy the wart tissue. The doctor may use anesthesia depending on the size or number of warts that you may have. Does laser wart removal hurt? Yes it may be painful for a few days after the procedure. Recovery time depends on the number of warts or the location of the wart.
Laser wart removal process can be used for a large area of wart as opposed to electrosurgery that can only be used for one wart at a time hence suitable to treat a few warts. This process of wart removal is safe to be used the get rid of warts on the face because it doesn’t cause scarring.
After laser surgery there is a risk of infection so you should watch out for the following signs:
- Discharge of pus
- Increased swelling, redness, tenderness or pain
- If you have high fever and there is no cause for it
If any of these sign occur to you after your procedure you should consult your doctor for medication
5. Wart Removal Medicine
Wart are different hence not all of them may need medication. They may go away on their own in a couple of months or years. Some warts are easily irritated or painful and some may spreading so fast to the other body, for this case you can’t wait for them to go away because by then they would have caused more harm to you.
Your doctor can treat your wart surgically, use medication such as imiquimod, retinoid cream etc. he can also use various chemical peels such as salicylic acid or glycolic acid last but not least he can use cryotherapy. . If you have tried all the remedies and none seems to work for you, you are advised to go for treatment
How to Remove Warts Naturally
The best way of treating any ailment in your body is through natural ingredients that are free from chemical that may be harmful to your body. Apart from natural ingredients being safe to use, they are also cheap and easily available because they are just in your kitchen. Warts are one of the conditions that you can get rid of easily using various natural ingredients.
The virus that causes growth of warts can be contracted in various ways. Weakening of the immune system can put one at risk of developing warts. Another is by sharing some personal items such as towels with a person who has it, metabolic disorder, and nervous breakdown among other ways. Warts can be treated naturally you don’t have to look for creams which may not only be expensive but sometime possess very harsh side effects. Home remedies for wart removal include vinegar, garlic, lemon juice, tea tree oil, duct tape, nail polish, salicylic acid, knife to reduce them among other methods.
1. Vinegar Home Remedy for Warts
The acidic content of vinegar makes it a suitable method for wart removal which peels of the warts causing it to drop off although it doesn’t eliminate the virus from the body. This method is uncomfortable because of the acidity of apple cider vinegar but it is very effective and clears the scar after the wart drops off. Vinegar can even be used for the warts on the face because it will not only get rid of the warts but also fade away the mark after it has peeled off. Here is how to use vinegar for warts on face:
- Cleanse the affected area with water.
- Apply petroleum jelly on the area that surrounds the wart to protect it from being affected by the apple cider vinegar high concentration.
- Dip a piece of cloth or cotton ball in the apple cider vinegar also known as ACV and place it on the wart.
- Leave it on wart for 30 minutes. Use a duct-tape to hold the cotton ball or the cloth in place.
- Repeat this every day until you see a significant change.
2. Garlic for Removing Warts
Garlic has been used for a long time now treat various ailments including skin conditions. Garlic has been proven to be a perfect home remedy to cure warts because of the antiseptic, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties it possess. Before you start using it take garlic and rub it on a small area of your skin to see if you are allergic to it. If it develops irritating rashes or the skin turns red, you are advised to use a different home remedy. Garlic can also be mixed with other ingredients to form a paste that is very effective to clear out the wart completely in two weeks.
- First of all clean and sanitize the affected area and dry it.
- Crush one slice of garlic and place the crushed garlic on the wart but avoid the garlic from coming in contact with the surrounding area as it can burn the area or cause rashes.
- Use a duct-tape or a bandage to hold the crushed garlic in place and let the juice sink in.
- Leave it for 45 mins-1 hr then wash it off.
- Repeat this every day for two weeks if by the end of that period you don’t see any positive change, consult your doctor
- Husk an onion and finely grate half of it. Peel 2-3 cloves of garlic and finely grate them too. Mix the two and add 1 teaspoon of vinegar to the mixture.
- Put it on the wart and be careful not to apply the mixture on the surrounding area as it could make that area sensitive and irritate.
- Using a bandage hold the mixture for 20-30 minutes.
- Repeat this twice daily for better and fast results. This remedy however is noit recommended sensitive skin and it should not come in contact with your eyes so you should not apply it on your eyelid.
3. Use Lemon Juice to Remove Warts on Face
The acidity nature of lemon makes it effective and efficient to get rid of warts fast and the vitamin C in it helps to destroy the virus. Lemon is suitable in removing plane warts (warts found on the face) because it clears the dark spots that are left after the wart fall off, leaving your face spotless and beautiful.
- Cut the lemon and squeeze the juice into a bowl.
- Using a piece of cloth or cotton ball, apply the juice on the wart
- Leave it overnight and rinse it in the morning using plain water
- Repeat this every day and the wart will be gone in a few weeks.
4. Tea Tree Oil/ Essential Oils
Tea tree possess very special and powerful properties that make it effective to facilitate drying up of the warts fast by stopping its growth. Tea tree oil contains terpinen-4-ol compound that is a very powerful antimicrobial that destroys the virus causing wart (HPV). Apart from this it has antiviral and antiseptic properties hence bacteria and infection eliminated.
- Cleanse the affected area thoroughly and dry it.
- Using a nail file down the wart manually but don’t file to deep as you might cause bleeding.
- Apply concentrated tea tree oil on the wart using a piece of cloth
- Cover it with a duct tape and leave it overnight.
- Remove the tape in the morning and wash it off.
- Repeat this daily until you notice a significant change. Continue using it until the wart is gone completely.
How to Remove Warts Manually
5. How to Kill Warts with Duct Tape
This may sound weird but duct tape can help kill that stubborn wart that has been making your life difficult. Warts are very ugly and am sure you must have tried several ways to get rid of them, well the good news is that duct tape has been proven to be effective thought it hasn’t been explained medically why that happens. Duct tape is one of the safest to use on children. So you can tree this method for 1-2 months using the steps below and you will be amazed with the results.
- Clean the area and the surrounding area and let it dry completely.
- Cut a piece of duct tape that will be enough to cover the wart and cover the wart completely.
- Leave the tape on the wart for 1 week. If it loosens or falls of replace it as fast as you can.
- Remove it after exactly 7 days to check on it if the wart is worse than it was then stop using the duct tape.
- Use a piece of cloth to soak the wart with warm water to soften the wart.
- Lightly scrape the wart filing off the dead wart tissue.
- Leave the wart exposed overnight so that it can dry out and rest. Apply another duct tape on the wart in the morning.
- Repeat this process until the wart is gone completely.
6. Can You Burn Off Warts?
When you have tried everything and the wart doesn’t go away, burning off the wart is another solution. This method is painful and leads to scarring but if you are brave enough and you don’t mind having a scar, you can try this at home. This method is not recommended for the warts on the face and for any wart you should be very care full. This method should only be tried after all other remedies have failed.
- Light a match and blow it out. While the match head is still hot touch it to the wart.
- Peel the layer of infected skin off and apply Aloe Vera then cover with a bandage
- Repeat this as needed. This is a very painful and dangerous process so do it at your own risk otherwise seek your doctors advise
7. Reduce Warts with a Knife
You can also reduce the wart with a knife when they are overgrown or when you haven’t found the right remedy yet. This is not a permanent solution for wart because after cutting them they usually grow back. This method is recommended for the palm or sole.
- Soak the affected area in warm water for 5-10 minutes to soften the skin
- Sterilize the knife and use it to cut the top of the wart but be careful not to cut deeper to avoid bleeding
- Do this when required and at your own risk otherwise seek medical attention
8. Using Nail Polish to Cure Warts Fast
The nail polish works exactly like a duct-tape because it cut off oxygen supply to the wart causing it to dry off because of suffocation.
- Cleanse the area affected and dry it out completely.
- Apply different layers clear nail polish on the wart directly after the area has dried up completely
- Leave it for few days then remove it and apply another layer after scraping off the dead wart layer.
- Repeat this until the wart is completely gone.
9. Salicylic Acid Natural Wart Remover
Salicylic acid has the ability to break down or dissolve the wart because it contains a compound called keratolytic. Salicylic acid is a natural wart remover and can be home made from aspirin.
- Crush 3 aspirin pills and add an equal amount of water and mix it well to form a paste
- Cleanse the area thoroughly and let it completely dry up
- Apply the paste on the affected area and leave it to dry up so that it can penetrate in the wart and destroy it.
- Rinse it with warm water after20-30 minutes
- Repeat this every day until the wart is gone
10. Banana Peels
What you have always seen as dirt or garbage has been proven to effectively treat warts including the genital warts. Banana peels contain an important component called polyphenol oxidase, chemicals that help to dissolve the wart and attack the HPV virus.
- Cut a piece pf banana peel and place it on the wart inside down.
- Use a duct tape to hold the peel on the wart overnight.
- Wash off thoroughly in the morning
- Repeat this every day for several weeks until the wart is completely gone.
Wart Removal Products
Wart removal products are many in number and so it will depend on the type, location or the number of warts. Before looking for a product that will get rid of your wart its good first try out home remedies because they are natural and free from chemicals that are full of side effects.
Wart removal product can be easily be found over the counter in popular stores like Walmart, CVS, Walgreens etc. here are the products that you can get from the pharmacies for your wart:
- Salicylic acid
- Compound W gel
- Wartstick wart remover among other product.
For genital warts and facial warts is advisable to be diagnosed by your doctor so that he she can prescribe to you the exact medication to use. Everyone will need the wart to clear out without leaving any spot especially for face warts that’s why you need to know exactly which product to use.