Coconut oil teeth whitening is growing popular as one of the natural methods used to whiten yellow teeth. You’ve probably heard of oil pulling- a unique method that most people have turned to as a teeth whitener. While it may not sound as pleasant having to swirl oil in your mouth, its way better than teeth whitening bleaches which come with a number of side effects.
But can coconut oil really whiten teeth? Below is more on benefits of coconut oil for teeth whitening and instructions on how to use coconut oil to make your teeth whiter. Also find results and success stories, before and after pictures and useful reviews.
Coconut Oil for Teeth Whitening
- Coconut Oil for Teeth Whitening
- Can Coconut Oil Whiten Teeth?
- How to Whiten Teeth with Coconut Oil
- How to Use Coconut Oil Teeth Whitener at Home
- How Long Does Teeth Whitening with Coconut Oil Take?
- Coconut Oil Teeth Whitening Results and Reviews
Teeth whitening involves bleaching your teeth to make them whiter. Depending on how yellow or brown your teeth are, whitening teeth may lighten the existing color a few shades lighter or make them very white. While this can be done at home with natural products in various DIY recipes, it is recommended to get a professional to do it for you- it may pose risks to your dental health.
How does coconut oil whiten teeth? Is it just a myth? Coconut oil is the most preferred oil in oil pulling- an ancient Indian technique used for oral hygiene.
Oil pulling is increasingly becoming a trend with claims that it not only cleans teeth but also contributes to a youthful glowing skin.
What is oil pulling? This involves swishing and swirling a small amount of oil, preferably coconut oil in the morning to clean your teeth and mouth. Several studies have been done to try and prove whether coconut oil pulling has any benefits for teeth whitening.
Can Coconut Oil Whiten Teeth?
Can coconut oil whiten teeth? Does it work? According to snopes.com, “While the benefits of oil pulling may be unproven, it does promote oral hygiene than ordinary oral rinse or mouthwash.”
Coconut oil does not whiten teeth by bleaching but rather with lauric acid which helps get rid of plaque and bacteria- major contributors to yellow teeth. Coconut oil contains medium chain fatty acids with 50% being lauric acid. Lauric acid has proven anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties which help to get rid of plaque and bacterial on the teeth and gums. It also helps to keep your breath fresh.
A study published in the Nigerian Journal of Medicine in April 2015, looked at 60 subjects between the ages 16 and 18 who used oil pulling as part of their oral hygiene over a period of 30 days. After 7 days of oil pulling, the levels of plaque and gum disease had significantly reduced.
There are many different types of bacteria that inhabit the mouth- good bacteria and those that are responsible for oral problems. According to authoritynutrition.com, bacteria creates a thin layer that they use to adhere to the surface of the teeth. This is what is known as plaque.
When bacteria and plaque get out of hand, they cause bad breath, gum inflammation and yellowing of teeth. Oil pulling with coconut oil works by removing the bacteria stuck to the surface of the teeth.
Is Coconut Oil Good for Teeth Whitening?
Coconut oil is a natural remedy that helps whiten teeth and get rid of bacteria and plaque. It also helps maintain fresh breath. Unlike many other home remedies, using coconut oil for teeth whitening has no side effects and can be used even on sensitive teeth.
There are claims that using coconut oil to whiten your teeth result great improvements in dental health. Also, as compared to other oils that can be used for pulling, coconut oil has a fairly pleasant taste. It is much cheaper.
Benefits of Coconut Oil for Teeth Cleaning
There are quite a number of reasons that makes coconut oil a perfect remedy for teeth whitening.
- It does not have harmful chemicals
- Does not foam in the mouth
- It tastes less nasty compared to other oils used for pulling
- Effective against harmful bacteria in the mouth
- Coconut oil is way easier to use
- It is inexpensive and easily available
- Reduces inflammation and heals bleeding gums
- It soothes throat dryness and heals cracked lips
- Strengthens the gums ad jaws
- Gets rid of bad breath
Coconut teeth whitening is a very simple procedure with effective results. While the best time to use coconut oil for oral health is in the morning, the procedure is so simple and can be done anytime and anywhere.
Unlike other teeth bleaching method, coconut oil can be used even when you have dental fixtures, crowns or fillings. Address decaying teeth, fillings and teeth infection before you begin to whiten teeth with coconut oil.
How to Whiten Teeth with Coconut Oil
Oil pulling with the likes of Coconut oil has been quite a trend with celebrities with A-list stars like Gwyneth Paltrow leading the wagon. This has resulted in many claims and stories online with everyone trying to prove how coconut oil helps to whiten teeth and improve oral health. Here is how to use coconut oil to whiten teeth
Coconut Oil Teeth Whitening Instructions
- Start with a teaspoon of coconut oil. Place it in your mouth and allow it to warm until it liquefies
- Swish the oil in your mouth for 15-20 minutes making sure it covers all the areas of your teeth and gums. DO NOT gargle
- Spit out the oil in the toilet or trash can not in the sink- it can clog drains
- Rinse out your mouth with warm water and brush as usual
- Do this every day or a few times a week
- Alternatively, you can add coconut oil to your toothbrush and use it to brush or use a clean cloth to rub it on your teeth
Note that, coconut oil is solid at room temperature and you may have to chew on it for a while to allow it to liquefy. Pulling with coconut oil to whiten teeth is best done in the morning preferably while in the shower.
Using coconut oil for teeth whitening is very easy and you can mix it up with different other products that have similar benefits for your teeth and gums. People have come up with procedures and recipes that make the otherwise unpleasant oily taste manageable. There are also quite a number of recipes on how to use coconut oil for teeth whitening.
Coconut Oil and Baking Soda to Whiten Teeth
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of coconut oil and baking soda in a small container to form a paste
- Add 10 drops of peppermint oil and mix (this improves the taste and smell) use any edible essential oil or spearmint
- Use this as your daily toothpaste to whiten teeth and for fresh breath
- You can choose to make a large or small amount depending on how long you want it to last
- Organic coconut oil is the best choice ( Lucky Bee Extra Virgin Fair Trade Organic Raw Coconut oil)
Coconut Oil Teeth Whitening Toothpaste
Most toothpaste brands contain chemicals like fluoride which when used inappropriately can harm your teeth. Fluoride has actually been linked to quite a number of problems including throat dryness. Other products may contain sulfites which coat teeth and prevent re-mineralization.
There are quite a number of good natural toothpastes out there, but making DIY at home ensures you have all the right ingredients. This teeth whitening home remedy is also effective and way cheaper than store-bought natural toothpastes.
How to Make Coconut Oil Teeth Whitening Toothpaste at Home
- Lightly melt ½ a cup of virgin organic coconut oil on low heat
- Once melted, remove from the heat and add 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- Blend a tablespoonful of xylitol in a coffee grinder into fine powder- this makes it easier to dissolve
- Add the xylitol and then any essential oil of your choice
- Allow the mixture to solidify and stir when necessary- baking soda might settle at the bottom
- You can add in peppermint essential oil for that feel of minty freshness that comes with regular toothpastes
- Wet your toothbrush, scoop a small amount of the coconut oil toothpaste with a spoon onto your brush
- Brush as usual
- Follow the above directions every day for best results
Using coconut oil teeth whitening toothpaste not only whitens teeth but also leaves the surface polished and helps get rid of teeth problems such as sensitive teeth.
How to Use Coconut Oil Teeth Whitener at Home
Coconut oil can be used in different ways to whiten teeth at home. It can be used on its own in oil pulling as described above or mixed with other natural ingredients to make homemade whitening toothpaste. Coconut oil is available in quite a number of forms in line with the level of refinement. Here is a small description of types of coconut oil to help you understand which is the best for oral health.
According to organicfacts.com, there are several varieties of coconut oil that are available in the market. These include:
- Pure or unrefined coconut oil
- Refined coconut oil
- Virgin coconut oil
- Organic virgin coconut oil
- Extra virgin coconut oil
Virgin Coconut Oil Teeth Whitening
Virgin coconut oil is derived from milk extracted from fresh coconut flesh. During processing extra care is taken ensuring that the oil tastes and smells the best. It is full of antioxidants, medium chain fatty acids and has excellent antimicrobial properties. There are no specific standards for the virginity of coconut oil making extra virgin coconut oil quite controversial.
Organic Coconut Oil for Teeth Whitening
This is basically virgin coconut oil produced from organic coconuts in an organic way. It is best preferred as it is the best and purest form available. It is however rare.
Which is the best coconut oil for teeth and gums? While there is not much of a difference in the properties of coconut oil in the varieties it is recommended to use organic virgin coconut oil for the purposes of oil pulling and teeth whitening.
Studies have shown that coconut oil particularly extra virgin coconut oil have great health benefits even when used in small amounts.
How Long Does Teeth Whitening with Coconut Oil Take?
How long does it take to see a difference with teeth when using coconut oil for whiter teeth? Well, this will vary in different people depending on how yellow your teeth are and consistency. It takes longer to see results if your teeth are deeply set with yellow stains.
Making this part of your dental regime will give you results in the long run. So, do not give up. You should be able to notice fresher breath, whiter and shinier teeth.
Coconut Oil Teeth Whitening Results and Reviews
Coconut oil teeth whitening results vary depending on a number of things such as how consistent you are with using the coconut teeth whitening remedy. If your teeth are deep set with stains and yellowing, it will take a while compared to those who are not.
There a quite a number of online reviews with people giving all kinds of success stories pulling with coconut oil. Note however that what is mostly given online are the benefits that come with oil pulling and not teeth whitening or brushing with coconut oil.
Kylie Jenner is one of the biggest advocates of using coconut oil for white teeth. She recently Instagram-med a picture of coconut oil teeth whitening products that she uses in oil pulling to get her pearls even whiter.
Just like other coconut oil teeth whitening products, Coco White kit comes in sachets and save you the trouble of having to bear clumps of solidified coconut oil. You can also buy coconut teeth whitening products on Amazon and Holland and Barret UK.
Here are some before and after pictures after using coconut oil to whiten teeth
Before and after teeth whitening with coconut oil
Sources and References